Born at Lancashire, England on 2 June 1876, daughter of Captain Matthew Crawford and Mary MacWilliam. Her father was a captain in the Merchantile Marine. After his death, his widow came to Ottawa where for a time she was principal of the Presbyterian Ladies’ College. Dr. Crawford was educated at Ottawa Normal School and the University of Toronto. She taught school at Ottawa for a time.
After completing her medical course at Toronto, she interned at the West Philadelphia Hospital for Women and Children. She came to Winnipeg and practiced for eight years privately. She was appointed Chief Medical Inspector for the public schools of Winnipeg in 1909. She was a member of the Manitoba Medical Association, Alpine Club of Canada, and Women’s Canadian Club; a founding member and first president of the University Women’s Club, and President of the International Association Women Physicians. She took an active part in the interest of women’s suffrage, and was president of Women’s Equality League. Presbyterian. Address, 31 Mortimer Place, Winnipeg. She retired in 1941.
She died at Invermere, British Columbia on June 6, 1953, and was buried in the Lake Windermere Cemetery, BC.
Credit: Manitoba Historical Society